On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 07:57:31PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> It seems to me that it really wouldn't be that hard to develop a program
> interface that merely calls amixer with the appropriate settings.  The
> user interface could be gtk, qt, java, python, or even tk.
>
> Personally, I have a volume control built into my speakers so it's not
> important to me.
>
>    -- Bruce

 It's always better to use something which is already available, if
such a thing exists.  That saves arguments about what colour it
should be ;-)

 FWIW I do have a volumen control on my amp, which sits under my
monitor (it's a small amp :) but I find it much easier to leave its
volume control alone and set a typical volume level in alsamixer on
each of the desktop machines - the newer they are, the quieter the
analogue outputs - and then fine tune with my mouse.

ĸen