On 10/16/2014 05:49 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2014, at 8:17 PM, William Harrington <kb0...@berzerkula.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 12, 2014, at 7:25, Dan McGhee <beesn...@grm.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to ultimately use all my external and salvaged hard drives on both
>>> my (soon to be completely) linux laptop and my iMac.  That part is simple.
>>> Back up what I don't want to lose and then reformat those drives.
>>
>> For over a decade, I’ve had windows, OS X, Solaris, and Linux environment
>> and would use samba for all of it.
>>
>> However, if you are scrapping windows, there is bonjour you can use with OS
>> X and linux.  Bonjour (zeroconf) is what you may want if only needing to
>> deal with a linux OS and Mac OS X.
>>
>> Now, if you ever need to use windows, you can install a bonjour client for
>> that, as well.
>>
>> There’s nothing wrong with using Samba and linux kernel’s CIFS between Mac
>> OS X and Linux, but if you aren’t going to have a Windows machine involved,
>> no need. No need to have that and a samba server configured for WINS either.
>>
>> Keep it simple and use only what you need.  Bonjour (zeroconf), or use some
>> of what others have stated. I use an iMac, powerbook, multiple windows
>> machines, and multiple linux machines with samba just fine. You have it
>> quite a bit simpler, so you may want to investigate what I have mentioned
>> with bonjour.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> William Harrington
>
> Thank you for this, William.  I don’t know why, but what you said didn’t
> register in the “grey cells” until just a little while ago.
>
> Yes, I want to keep things very simple and do only what I need to.  Right
> now, I’m using LFS-7.5 without an X environment.  My plan originally was to
> build a total distro from 7.6.  That may even be delayed because of the UEFI
> stuff that I’m doing.
>
> However, it is important to me now to share files between my Mac and laptop.
> I the only thing I know about Avahi and bonjour is that they are zeroconf
> services.  In looking at the build page of Avahi, it looks like I need an X
> environment to have it build and run.  That’s too much to do with my current
> plans.  I think I’ll have to settle for only NFS and wait to do the other
> things until I build my whole distro.
>
> I just wanted to acknowledge your thoughts.  I’ll hold on to them for the
> future however immediate that future is.
>
> Dan

If you only need the DNS-SD service, then you don't need an X
environment. GTK+2 and GTK+3 are needed by some of the desktop packages
that integrate with Avahi for DNS-SD capabilities as well for some GUI
programs provided in the avahi source. libdaemon should be enough for
the avahi-daemon (main DNS-SD service program) to get built.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.