On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 06:14:58PM +0530, Palash Tekam via blfs-support wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have successfully installed BLFS 8.4 and now I want to make its iso file
> so that I can transfer it to my other laptop like any other Linux
> distribution such as Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro, etc. Please also mention all
> the changes that I have to make in kernel to make it run on different
> laptops.

I don't want to pour water on your parade, but BLFS-8.4 is now so
old (in LFS/BLFS terms) that many security vulnerabilities have come
to light and installing it now cannot be recommended.

Even with 10.0 there are a continuous stream of security fixes which
need packages to be updated.

But the real problems are in configuring the system for different
hardware.  In particular, different disk controllers but also
different wifi or ethernet drivers.  That is why commercial distros
use modules for as much of the kernel as possible, and therefore
provide an initrd from which the modules can be loaded.  For modern
laptops you probably need firmware for the wifi (I'm assuming that
the hardware _is_ supported by the upstream kernel, distros may
carry their own patches) and perhaps firmware for video, bluetooth,
maybe other things.

Distros also use various approaches for identifying the root
filesystem (typically UUID) and updating (in their installers) the
fstab.

Alternatively, "Live" isos (typically, on sticks) need to have an
area where data can be updated when the system is running.  That is
way beyond LFS (initrds are covered in BLFS) and most of the people
here know nothing about that.

> I had read somewhere that MacOS X was based on LFS 6.1.

Not true.  It is based on Darwin, which is based on "real" unix.
The core parts are probably nearest to FreeBSD.

> This should be possible, else how do they make operating systems and
> distribute it!

By spending lots of time and money, and destroying a certain amount
of hardware in the process :-(

ĸen
--
To say that it (his hair) was black and bound up in a ponytail is to
miss the opportunity of using the term 'elephantine'. It was hair