On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 12:34:13AM +0530, Palash Tekam via blfs-support wrote:
> How to tar up the whole LFS system. I mean what all directories ( all the
> directories have same name as given in the book ).
> Would simply tarring and untarring do the job? ( except some minor changes
> that you mentioned )

Please don't top-post when replying on this list.

You need to be in a separate system on the machine (e.g. the host
system which you used to build LFS) so that the LFS system is not
mounted.  (Trying to tar up /dev /proc /sys is not a good idea).

If everything from LFS is in one partition, mount the LFS system at
/mnt/lfs on the host, then as root cd to /mnt/lfs and tar up '.' to
a file (if you use -v with tar it will show it writing names
beginning './').

Transfer the file to an existing linux system on the other machine,
make a filesystem on the partition where you want LFS, and then as
root mount that filesystem (creating /mnt/lfs and mounting there is
conventional), cd to it and untar.

> > Other minor things are to change the host name, ip address, fstab,
> > grub.cfg, and maybe unprivileged user(s).  Also any kernel modules and
> > (potentially) firmware for the target system must be available.
> >
> >    -- Bruce

And then make those changes (e.g. edit /etc/hostname and
/etc/sysconfig files), ensuring you are in the new system.

ĸen
--
To say that it (his hair) was black and bound up in a ponytail is to
miss the opportunity of using the term 'elephantine'. It was hair