On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 01:32:25AM +0530, Palash Tekam via blfs-support wrote:

> I had made the BLFS on the host machine itself ( due to hardware
> limitations ) i.e. I have only one operating system which is the BLFS 8.4 .
> So mounting and ssh won't work . Can I still tar /mnt/lfs and will it tar
> up the packages of BLFS also?

If it is the only system, then /mnt/lfs is empty and not mounted.

I don't think I understand your situation.

Does your machine still have the host OS on which you built LFS and
then BLFS ?

If you tar up a whole system, it will include all the installed
files whether they are from LFS or BLFS and whether they are in /usr
or /opt.  But if you used more than one partition for the system,
things get more interesting and you probably need to tar those up
separately.

If you do not still have the host OS, tarring up a running system is
much harder (you want to avoid /dev /proc /sys as previously
mentioned) - not something I've done after my first build many years
ago, I quickly learned that backing up, and restoring, a compelted
system is mch easier when done from another system on the same
machine.  Can probably be done after thoroughly reading the man/info
pages for tar.

ĸen
--
To say that it (his hair) was black and bound up in a ponytail is to
miss the opportunity of using the term 'elephantine'. It was hair