Victor,

    Thank you very much for the good instructions.  I now seem to be only
getting one copy of all messages.  The bad news is that,after I sent my
original message, and it looked like I was getting mail again, a message I
sent on its way got stuck in the outbox and and got the same invalid user
name or
password message asking me to type in my password that I was getting the 17
hours or so when I wasn't getting
or able to send mail.  Now, I'm
getting mail along with a "The host 'amtp.east.cox.net' could not be found.
Please verify
that you have entered the server name correctly" error message   with OE.
I'm receiving test messages I send myself, but that one message is stuck in
the outbox.

 The "'amtp" before the "east.cox.net'" doesn't sound familiar.  I'm also
confused because usually when I get the host cannot be found message, I
can't send or receive any mail.

    I wasn't clear when I said "outage" and I apologize if I mislead you.
As far as I know, there was no power outage at my place and I meant mail
delivery problem.  There might have been a power outage since we've had
unsettled weather.  For whatever reason, I didn't hear the UPS beeping.

    I haven't had a chance to tackle the problem with the message stuck in
the outbox or to call Cox.

    I apologize if this message isn't very clear-my head is still not good.

    Thanks again,

Margaret

"Victor Gouveia" wrote:

Hi Margaret,

If, as you say, the power went out midway through downloading your messages,
then the computer didn't have time to transmit the fact that it had been
downloaded, and so the server assumed you had not gotten the messages.

Once your computer downloads your e-mail, it sends the information to the
mail server, letting it know that the messages did come down, and that it
shouldn't re-send them again.

This happens quite often during power outages.

Whether this was a result of your e-mail problems, I don't think so, it
sounds more like the power outage knocked your computer for a loop, and it
literally couldn't remember what it did before the outage.

To change the leave a copy on the server option, go into the accounts in the
tools menu, highlight the account and go to properties.

Control+tab over to the advanced tab, and it will be below the time out
settings on that tab.

Make sure the checkmark is unchecked, then go to apply then ok, and it won't
leave a copy of the messages on the server anymore.

I should note that this will not delete any messages that are there already,
just the new ones you receive from that change on.

If you want to delete those messages you'll have to go back into the account
through webmail and delete them manually.

Victor
Co-moderator
Blind Movie Buffs List
Guidedogs List