To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] Trying to remove a Trojan Horse.

Hi Debbie,

As someone else has suggested, Super Anti-Spyware is the best way to remove
the Trojan without sighted assistance.

If the program still doesn't remove it, that's when you should default to
sighted assistance, as you will have to reboot in safe mode and run the
program, or delete the file, if you know where it is.

I would also suggest you look in your MSConfig and in the start up and
services tab to see if this Trojan has the ability to be stopped before it
starts up.

If it's in there, try unchecking the box so it doesn't start up
automatically, then run the program after you reboot the computer.

To get to MSConfig, go to your start menu, press the letter R for the run
dialog box, and type the word msconfig and press enter.

The Microsoft Configuration window will pop up, so control+tab over to the
services and start up tabs, and go through the programs that are starting up automatically. If you see the file that's causing the problem, uncheck it,
and tab to the apply button, then back to the ok button and press the
spacebar.

You'll be asked to reboot the computer, so do so.

Once the computer reboots, try running the programs again to see if it
removes the virus or Trojan.

Lastly, to back up the Outlook Express messages and folders, as the person
said, go to the directory that was specified, and what I do, is copy the
entire folder, namely that Outlook Express folder, onto a media that will
hold the contents.

It will probably be really large, so you'll probably have to use a DVD or
external drive.

Once you reformat and install Windows onto the drive again, just copy the
folder back to where you got it in the first place, and everything will
magically reappear.

It's as easy as that, provided, of course, you're re-installing XP again.
If you move up to Vista, or downgrade to Me or 2000, then I don't believe
this method of restoring your mail will work, but don't quote me on that.

Let us know how you make out.

Victor
Co-moderator
Blind Movie Buffs List