From: blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com]on Behalf Of
Donald
Marang
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:39 PM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] using drop box

Local backup is great and fast, but you should also keep a
backup of all of
your critical files off site.  Off site is somewhere outside
of your house
or work.  Thinnk of a house fire, theft,  or natural
disaster that might
destroy your computer and local backup.  This can be a
second external
drive, mail DVDs to your Mother, or copy to a web service.
This usually
means a paid, install and forget service like Carbonite,
Mozy, or Amazon S3.
I am cheap and have not signed up for any of these yet.  I
was investigating
Microsoft's free services, SkyDrive and Live Mesh.  Both
provide 5 GB space
free.  SkyDrive is not yet well integrated into Windows
Explorer and hard to
use.  live Mesh at mesh.com, is very easy to use.  You can
set it up to
synchronize much like DropBox to any folder or folders on
your computer.  It
has some sharing features, but I do not think you can post a
public address
to a file.  I think sharing revolves around email addresses.
If you install
this interesting software, do not allow it to install the
"Desktop Sharing"
feature, which it wants to do by default.  This feature
allows the sighted
to see and work with their remote computer through a web
browser.  Cool
feature!  But useless to most on this list!  It actually
conflicts with
other software.  It also sets up a video mirror driver.  It
screwed up my
computer for a while.  When I attempted to reinstall without
the "Desktop
Sharing" feature, I renamed one of the folders I was
synching and lost a
week's worth of calendar updates!  I should get something
set up soon, just
to be safe.

Don Marang