Hi.

Alter does have keys to move and other things, and of course with the amounts
of sounds and such it’s virtually an audiogame in it’s own right and is thus
highly worth a go.
However, bare in mind most muds don’t work like your traditional interactive
fiction game.
For example, instead of  typing out the directions to move, you can usually
just  n s e w.
You don’t have to type out full commands like open box with key, op bo key (or
in some games op bo with key), will usually do.

In some muds you can even use numbers instead, eg in one mud I know for
equipping items you just look in your inventory where each item has a number by
hitting I, and if  sword were in slot 12 and so instead of typing out “ready
sword” or something like that you could just type eq 12.

It’s actually one of the things I like about muds, that the typing is far
easier than in traditional if, which also usually means less of those annoying
“guess the syntax” type of puzzles.

Hth.

All the best,

Dark.