Perhaps some sort of turn-based strategy game, e.g. empire building of
some sort or another. To offer further clarifications:

1. You have an economy to manage
2. You would have to protect your existing territories
3. You would have to conquer other territories to expand your
influence/economy/military power
4. Maintain and upgrade a military force for said expansion/defensive actions

I am not sure that this would be the best example, but an Axis and
Allies (with modifications) might work. I am reluctant to provide
specifics at this stage, but would be more than happy to put my ideas
out on the table-when you are ready for them/find them of interest in
the first place.

--
Justin M. Jones, M.A.
atreides...@gmail.com