I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you here. If you, as a developer,
have abandoned, and this is very deliberate wording here, rather than
stopped supporting, again, very specific wording here, you have, in
essence, given up any pretense at ownership. Now, if you, as a
developer, see that there is interest in that old product and you pick
it up again/start selling it on your web site, then the software is
not abandoned.

Short answer: you are not stealing something that has been abandoned
(see above for what I mean by "abandoned").

Since you answered my question, I will answer yours. If someone
"abandons," and not merely mislays/misplaces something, then they have
given up all ownership to it. If I, for instance, have some canned
food that I do not want and simply leave out in my apartment
building's lounge, I have abandoned that property, i.e. given up any
pretense at ownership. If someone abandons a farm and there are still
crops growing there, then those crops are free for the taking by
anyone who wants them. Regarding buildings, that gets a little more
complicated as there are other ordinances that may be in place that
dictates what happens to a building that has been abandoned. Make
sense?