Okay, in .nethackrc lines that start with # are commented out.  Lines starting
with other symbols are live.  If memory serves uncomment ibmascii and above
that will be the line enabling the graphics and that needs to be commented out.
 Before doing any of this, copy .nethackrc to .nethackrc.0 so if you break
something you’ll be able to copy .nethackrc.0 to .nethackrc and back out of
your mistake.