Hi Everyone
GMC Hobby Tool Kit
Review

Whether you dabble in woodwork, electronics, home renovation, general craft, or
any other hobby, GMC's Hobby Tool Kit has something you might need. Let's
take a look at the package and discover what it contains and whether it offers
value for money or suitability for your own "around the shop/home" tasks.

The GMC Hobby Tool Kit
The kit actually contains four individual tools, and these are a soldering
iron, a small cordless screwdriver, an engraver and a rotary tool. I'll review
each tool separately below.

3.6v Cordless Screwdriver
The GMC 3.6v Cordless Screwdriver is a nifty little tool for a number of tasks.
You can use it to drive in screws in woodwork, for general driving and screw
removal tasks around the home, and in a number of varied hobby tasks where
screws or very light drilling are involved (small model making for example).

Because of its low rotational speed of only 200 RPM, it is not suitable for
most drilling/boring tasks, but as mentioned, it can be used for light duty
drilling with small drill bits, although you will require 1/4" hex shanked bits
for them to fit the driver's chuck.

The screwdriver features a 3.6v, 600mAh Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cad) internal, fixed
rechargeable battery. A mains battery charger to suit is included in the
pack, and recharge time for a fully depleted battery can be in the order of 5-7
hours, although the first few charge cycles will likely take considerably
longer. The manual recommends 10-12 hours for the first charging cycle. Due to
the fact that the battery pack and its capacity are quite small in comparison
to a regular sized cordless drill, battery life is, as expected, also less. On
a full charge however, you can go for an hour or two of fairly consistent
use before the battery begins to struggle.

One of the best features of this driver though is its size. It is a tiny tool
and very light in weight. While the torque factor is low, the driver is easy
to handle and you can get it into tight places with ease. The handle can also
rotate to provide either a pistol-type orientation or a more elongated shape
(like a crescent moon or a banana!) if you need a little more reach. A small
yellow push switch is pressed to unlock the shaft and rotate the handle to
either of the two set positions.

Power is applied via a rocker switch on top of the driver. It has forward and
reverse positions. The driver chuck rotates at a 200 RPM fixed speed, i.e.
there is no variable speed trigger. Not much more to explain there. All fairly
simple.

The chuck itself will accept any 1/4 hex shank driver bit (and some small
diameter 1/4" hex shank drill bits as mentioned above). A magnetic hex-shank
extension
bit is included in the kit to help hold driver bits in place and stop them
falling out, handy when working in tight areas where a dropped driver bit could
be difficult to re-acquire. A couple of double-ended driver bits (philips and
slotted) are also supplied, although different types of compatible 1/4" shank
bits can be purchased at virtually any hardware store to suit other screw head
shapes (square drive, pozidriv etc).

In use the tool works well for light duty driving tasks. It will have trouble
driving larger screws into dense woods, but it is handy for removing hinges
from doors, re-screwing joints after repair, and for general light duty hobby
tasks. It's definitely not going to replace a good 9.6 or 12 volt cordless
drill/driver, but it's not designed to do that. It has its limitations, but it
is awfully handy in many situations as well. A nice addition to the hobby
kit package.

Rotary Tool
The rotary tool is perhaps the most versatile tool in the kit, and to be
honest, these things are very handy indeed. They can perform a huge range of
tasks
and are truly the swiss army knife of power tools for small-scale work. From
cutting, to grinding, to shaping, to buffing, to sanding, the rotary tool
can do it all, albeit, on a smaller scale.

I have a larger rotary tool kit in the shop and it gets used quite often in
both woodworking and general DIY and maintenance tasks.

The rotary tool itself features a 135W brushed motor that is mains powered.
Again, this is a hobby tool more than a serious demolition or dedicated power
tool, but for small scale work, these tools are hard to beat! The rotational
speed is variable from 15,000 up to 35,000 RPM. Two collet sizes are available
- 3.2mm and 2.4mm, and this tool will accept most standard sized rotary tool
(Dremel) type accessory bits in its collet(s).

A collection of various accessories are included, like sanding drums/pads,
various shaped grinding heads, a wire brush tool, buffing wheels, grinding discs
and even a drill bit. Attaching the accessories is simple. Just lock the
spindle using the spindle lock button and loosen/tighten the collet using the
small collet wrench supplied. It works pretty much the same as a router collet.
In effect, this is a router, just a smaller version that is much easier
to handle.

So what do you use this tool for? Well, in the past, I have used this tool and
my other similar rotary tool to perform these tasks:
List of 4 items
* Grind heads off nails and screws - extremely useful for this, particularly
when a nail head or screw cannot be easily accessed to be removed by other
means.
* Shape small wooden objects - using the sanding drums and sanding pads, it is
easy to shape a square edge round, or for minor detail work on wooden sculptures
or gifts. I have also used it to sand down putty lines or smooth joins on
plastic model kits, which I occasionally have time to build!
* Metal work - I have used the rotary tool to enlarge drilled holes for larger
bolts in the absence of a larger drill bit, to de-burr cut edges, and to
sharpen things like blades, fish hooks, touch up lawn mower blade edges... the
list could go on.
* Buffing - I have occasionally buffed small jewelry items using appropriate
compounds (not included), although heat can build up quickly because of the
high RPM of the tool, so be careful. Have also used it to buff turned pens to a
final finish, although I will admit I have used other easier methods for
this.
list end

These are just a small list of tasks. The point I am getting at is that the
rotary tool is highly versatile. You will come across many uses for one yourself
once you own such a tool.

Of course, in some cases, the rotary tool itself can be cumbersome to use, like
in fine detail work. This is where the flexible shaft comes into play. I
was surprised to see a flexible shaft included in the box at the price point
the kit is offered. Sometimes these shafts can cost more than the whole kit
alone! Kudos to GMC for including it. The flexible shaft is essentially a
collet extension in flexible form. You attach it to the collet and at the other
end it spins a second collet with your working accessory attached. It allows
you to use your accessory in a pen-grip manner with much more precise control
over the bit used. These are great and allow you to get into even tighter
spaces with more accuracy. A stand and clamp to hang the rotary tool from when
using the flexible shaft is included in the kit. A perfect addition for the
model maker or general hobbyist engaged in many types of craft work.

In use we had no issues with the rotary tool, but like a router, it can make a
pretty high-pitched sound, so hearing protection is required given that the
tool can produce up to 96 decibels, well above the 80 decibel limit we
recommend for hearing protection use.

Engraver
Ok so you probably don't need this tool, being a woodworker and all right? When
will you use an engraver in your wood projects? Not very often... However,
have you marked all your power tools and machines to help re-locate them in the
unfortunate event that they are stolen? In many countries around the world,
local police recommend engraving valuable items to help identify their owners
in the instance they are found or recovered. Engraving your valuables also
helps to deter thieves from selling them to certain third parties or pawn
brokers. This is just one use for the engraver.

You can also use to to engrave metal, glass, plastic, ceramics, and yes, even
wood, although for most wood tasks you would probably use the rotary tool,
unless you actually want to engrave in wood, although my experience is that
engraving wood with such a small cutting tip generally doesn't work too well,
hence the recommendation to use the rotary tool instead.

The engraver itself offers a pen-like grip and is comfortable to use. It is