Ralph,

Well there are several possibilities for you.  Firstly, you could use an
RF wireless keyboard and wireless headphones so you could interact with
your computer from anywhere in the house.

since you probably only use your receivers remote in the same room as your
receiver, it wouldn't be that different if you had the computer in the
same room as the receiver and use a line of sight IR keyboard instead.
The RF keyboard and wireless headphones are just a slicker set-up.

I am also betting that there is some kind of appliance that you can
purchase that is a remote control and it would operate Windows Media
Player, or some other player on your computer via some kind of dongle IR
or RF dongle.

As far as a sleep timer, you could set something up but I'm not sure how
pretty it would be.  But then again, I'm one of those leave my computer on
24 hours a day kind of people.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi