What I use to lubricate the hinges on the oven door is white lithium grease.
Itis designed for very high heats.
Lenny
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Leavens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Heating question

Hi Roger,

I had electric heat in a house here in the '70s with that ticking problem
usually both when the heat came on and again when it went off. It is the
expansion and contraction of the metallic parts. Fortunately, this was
usually the front panel cover differentially expanding against the chassis.
You can snap this off, they differ  but usually the front cover has a couple
of wrinkles formed in it as part of the fancy design which hook over what
appear to be partitions inside the case.  Beyond the cover you will notice a
long series of fins which increase the surface area available for
distributing the heat. You might try snapping the front  cover off and with
a thin spear of something as simple as Vaseline on a finger tip wipe a
little lubrication on the inside of the front cover at about the points
where it clips onto the body of the heater so the parts can slide over each
other with expansion and contraction.

There may be other components doing it but in my case this seemed to be the
main offender.

Vaseline may not be the best depending on the temperature, it has a rather
low point at which it becomes fluid but it is a start. Someone else might
have an idea for something a little more forgiving at temperatures of around
140 or 150F.

Hope this helps.

By the way, you might like to take a duster or vacuum cleaner to those fins
while you have the cover off. This should improve their efficiency and they
won't get quite so hot from the insulating effects of dust and that alone
should help a little.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens