Betsy,
I've been reding the comments, and since my son and I just finished
installing vinyl flooring in our kitchen, I'll offer some comments.
As for the lazy susan, our corner base cabinet has a round back that keeps
anything from falling off.  Works great.
Your old vinyl was probably installed with underlayment under it.
Underlayment is a quarter inch plywood or composit panel that you lay down
first, and attach the vinyl to it.  The reason for this is that you can
cover over any small irregularities in the floor under the underlayment and
creat a smooth surface for the vinyl.  If you have any noticeable cracks or
slight bumps in the floor they will show up when you look at the surface of
the vinyl later.  As we were laying it, I was running my hand over it, and
could feel a lump where a tiny sliver set.
You probably can't peel the old vinyl loose from the floor and leave a
smooth enough surface to get a really smooth look to the vinyl.  That's why
the vinyl is glued to underlayment, which can be removed, and replace.
Our old vinyl was laid down before the cabinets, so we had to take up all
the cabinets to tear up the old vinyl and underlayment before we could put
down new underlayment.  Extra work, but I would do it again.
First, if you have underlayment under your old vinyl, it will be very
difficult to cut it back to the toe kick of your cabinet in order to get a
smooth, neat job with the vinyl.
Also, over the years vinyl tends to curl up at the edges, so if there is not
a molding, it's much neater for the cabinets to set on the vinyl.
Also, do some long range planning.  If possible you will want to lay the
vinyl as one piece, without a seam.  My kitchen was 12 by 16, which worked
perfect since vinyl comes in rolls 12 feet wide.  In order to lay it without
seams, we were going to go under the cabinets no matter what, so it was a no
brainer for us.  Now we have a clean surface over the whole kitchen floor
without any seam that might curl in the future.  If you do end up with a
seam, there is a seam sealer that should be applied, though I have seen that
fail.  Note too that if you are going to lay vinyl under the stove,
diswasher and refrigerator, and do it without seams, you aren't wasting any
vinyl by going under cabinets.
In our situation, we were able to use some of the vinyl from under the
cabinets to cover some steps and a landing off the back of the kitchen.
Others on the list have suggested using vinyl under the sink, or even in the
bottom of base cabinets or drawers.  A great idea.
Some vinyl now comes as a loose lay product.  That is, you put adhesive
along the edges, but not in the middle.  You unroll the vinyl into place,
glue down the edges, and as it lays, it actually shrinks up a bit and pulls
itself tight for a good look without bubbles.
If you ar going to lay vinyl or underlayment yourself, we found that buying
a roll of pattern paper was an immense help in fitting the underlayment into
doorways, and some of the more complicated spots.
Blessings,
Tom