From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]on
Behalf Of Bill Gallik
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:53 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] electric snowblower

  Scott,

  From your question, I'm surmising you don't think a blind person can
operate a gasoline snowblower? Oh contraire my friend, I am the only one
here and even if I weren't I'd still be in charge of clearing the snow with
my 8 HP snowblower.

  Certainly a blind person isn't going to be quite as efficient as a sighted
person probably duplicating effort several times. But I've developed a
system for clearing the snow from the garage area parking and my friends
tell me I do an incredibly good job of it.

  Now the sidewalks are simply a matter of feeling; I can tell when I've
strayed off the sidewalk from the feeling that comes from the snowblower
housing sliding on grass instead of sidewalk concrete. And the deck (when I
decide to pull the machine up there) is very easy to tell.

  I've been known to put an auxiliary hood over my head backwards. This is a
real hoot because passing motorists (at least 1 out of 3) slows down to
rubber neck. I do it on exceptionally cold days and I figure, "Why expose
any flesh at all?"

  So, my answer to your question is a definite "YES," a blind person could
run an electric snowblower!
  ----
  Holland's Person, Bill
  - "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
  - US Humorist, Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)