  From: Tom Hodges
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 12:18 PM
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] purchasing a new washing machine!

  Jim, My Sears washing machine, which was about 12 years old, started
  sounding like someone was beating it with a hammer. I called the service
  department and was told that it was probably the transmission and it would
  be cheaper to buy a new one.

  We went to Sears and got a good deal on a floor model. Both machines were
  top loaders,.

  We got the new one home and it sounded exactly like the one we just
  replaced. I called the store and they sent a serviceman the next week. The
  problem was, you guessed it, the transmission. Oh well, sometimes you just
  can't win.

  Anyway, I was talking to the service man and he told me that sometime, in
  the near future, all washing machines will be front loaders. He said they
  clean the clothes much more efficiently and the problem with the door
  leaking is a thing of the past.

  As far as the controls are concerned, my microwave is a flat panel, but I
  use those self adhesive nubs to find my way around the panel.They are like
  little buttons that you put on keyboards and such. They come in all
  different sizes. Anywaythat may be a consideration for you if the control
  panel is an issue. Maybe someone else on here has a flat panel washing
  maching and will comment on it.

  Tom