To: <blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:55 PM
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Fuses

We don't make fuses, we buy them already made.

House circuits, when fused use a glass cartridge fuse which screws into a
receptacle or socket. Our
lamp bulbs screw into sockets as well. I believe your bulbs are the bayonet
style of fitting with
two spring loaded contacts which connect with contacts on the bottom of the
bulb base. Ours have one
contact on the bottom of the base, the threaded wall forms the other contact.

There are tubular fuses with metal capped ends too, something like those used
in the more modern
British 13 Amp ring circuit wiring which they install into the big square plugs
but which we more
usually use in automotive fused circuits or occasionally in the equipment
itself. Now of course most
circuits are protected by switched circuit breakers. I don't know if the ring
main is used in New
Zealand or Australia. Switch style circuit breakers are becoming more common in
England I do know,
they were unknown when I lived there 40 years ago.

If I was Han Solo I'd probably pet my wookie