Wow Howard,

Sounds to me as if the drain pipe wasn't mounted perfectly perpendicular to the
bathroom floor.  Unless the floor has sagged some???

Here's the thing, those two bolts you speak of are actually anchored (anchor
bolts) to the top of the drain pipe via a collar that has keyhole style holes
on each side.  The toilet mounting bolts have flat, elongated heads that slip
into the keyhole style holes, then turned so the long ends of their heads
"catch" in the collar.  That collar must be pretty well perpendicular to the
floor for the toilet itself to seat properly.

In order to really know what has happened you'll need to completely remove the
toilet.  That can be an unpleasant job if you're a bit squeamish, I've done it
several times but I grew up in dairy country so that sort of thing doesn't
bother me at all.  If you decide to do this on your own be careful to not lose
the bolts down the drain pipe.  When you remove the nuts from the anchor bolts
and disconnect the water supply line, carefully lift the toilet out of
position.  You should find a mess of wax at the top of the drain collar, this
is the seal that prevents leakage during flushes.  When you place the toilet
back, you must get a new wax seal because you'll never be able to get that old
seal to, well, seal properly again.

What you really want to be sure of is that the drain pipe itself hasn't worked
loose from the next section of drain pipe so grab hold of that pipe and try to
shake it - gently (you don't want to cause a problem that wasn't there).

You may find that the floor has shifted, can't tell you what to do in that
case.  That's your call.  But if you're going to use shims, I recommend you
place them at the back of the toilet and seal that gap thoroughly with a
bathroom rated caulk or seal.

----
Holland's Person, Bill
E-Mail: billgal...@centurytel.net
- "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
- US Humorist, Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)