Will authors actually need to feature detect this? I mean, feature
detection won’t make a difference to visitors as it will have the same net
outcome to them: the nested styles will not be applied in browsers that
don’t support nesting.

I can imagine authors using nesting in inline styles, and then using a JS
polyfill to manually parse and desugar them. But of course no need to do
that work if nesting is supported, and checking if & is a valid selector
seems the obvious way.
Authors may then write a function that is supposed to return whether
nesting is supported, and even test that it effectively returns false on
Firefox, and true on Chrome (after nesting is released).
But they may not check old versions of Chrome (it's hard since it updates
automatically), and thus fail to notice the false positive that prevents
the polyfill from running.
This is not some unlikely hypothetical scenario, the code that I posted in
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/8399#issuecomment-1416869274
would have suffered from this.