Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:42:26 +0200
From: Pavel Tcholakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [E36] Horrible cold-start consumption

Hello list,

I've had this problem (??) forever, and I'm not sure if there's even
anything one can do about it.

My car seems to gulp fuel by the litre when it's cold - it doesn't
even have to be pushed hard. I can just start it in the morning and
let it idle while I pick a new CD and buckle up my seat belt - and
there's already a *noticeable* difference on the fuel level gauge. The
weird thing is, once the temp gauge gets to the middle this apparent
high consumption goes away. Also, subsequent starts during the day
don't exhibit this behavior if the car is at least a little bit warm
(i.e. it's not been sitting the entire day). The car is a '94 320i
equipped with a M50B20TU engine, with a Siemens ECU (and not Bosch).

I would suspect a leak but it only seems to happen after the car is
started, and then only for a short period of time until it warms up. I
don't have a chip, but the car's been AFR tuned on a dyno - one can
set this sort of thing on the AFM, I was told. Is it possible they did
something to it then? I don't think. The exhaust burns a nice grey
colour so I'm confident it's not running rich all the time. I do
however get a smell of petrol (ok, that's gas for you Americans ;-))
when I first start it in the morning but it's not so bad that it
couldn't be explained by cold-start rich running.

Any hints? Is it normal? If it's not, should I even worry about it?
I'm getting about 22-25mpg around town and well over 30 on the
highway, but if it didn't gulp so much fuel when started it would be
even better.

Best regards,
Pavel