Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:44:23 -0400
From: "Chris Whitney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Oil Change Intervals

I work for a large diesel engine builder.  Our engines are designed to run
for 8000 plus hours per year.  In the (very rare) event that an owner does
not do periodic lube oil analysis to determine the condition of his lube
oil, we specify lube oil changes at 2000 operating hour intervals,
independent of whatever load the engine may have been run at.  Idling or
full load, the hour meter doth turneth.

We do have huge sump volumes, however, and most owners obtain lube oil life
significantly longer than that, even with the bunker fuel oil (No. 6 oil)
which is often used.

I had an '89 Mazda 2.2 liter turbo.  My first new car.  I recently retired
it (due to electrical problems) at 300,000 miles without ever opening the
engine, except for timing belts, plugs, valve cover gaskets.  Original
turbo.  Zero sludge inside valve cover.  Still pulled full boost and ran
very well.  Dino oil changes at 3K.  I ran it on a 110 mile commute.
According to my other car's OBC, I average about 43 MPH during that commute.
Changing oil at 3K miles is only 70 running hours, give or take.   Could I
have extended the change interval?  Probably.  I never did oil analysis;
just basically figured that the $14 and 45 minutes or so it cost me to do an
oil and filter change was well spent and relatively cheap.

Sump volume makes a big difference.  But anyway, if you intend to keep your
car for a long time, as opposed to some sort of relatively short lease, I
always wonder why anyone would even dream of risking their $20, $30, $40,
$50K "investment" by not changing their oil at reasonable intervals.  Or my
$6K investment for my old E28 535i when I bought it about 8 years ago!  (
sold last year for $2800 with 180K)  This always begs the question of what's
"reasonable" but I doubt anyone would argue 3-5K on dino oils, and 5-10K on
synthetics.  Depending on how conservative you are, take one end or the
other, IMHO.

I believe that most automotive gas and diesel engines available today have
the potential to run for at least 200 - 300K miles without major work, if
well maintained.   And the better ones probably 500K.  Look at the long haul
trucks, they go much farther than that without a major rebuild.   I know we
have lots of our engines which exceed 100,000 hours....  Let's see.  100,000
hours at 43 MPH - that 4,300,000 miles!  Not exactly.  They don't call our
types of engines "stationary" for nothing!

Rgds,
Chris Whitney