The BMW UUC Digest 
Volume 3 : Issue 12 : "text" Format

Messages in this Issue:
  Re: Questions on Tourings (wagons)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 11:50:06 -0500
From: Neil Maller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Questions on Tourings (wagons)
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

on 12/24/05 6:20 PM, "Marc Plante" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, the E39 isn't even much of a wagon

Guess that depends on how much one thinks is much. We bought a 2003 525iTa
about a year ago, and one of the first things that impressed me about its
cargo carrying capacity was going to pick up a pair of Recaros I'd bought
for the M3. In their huge original cartons they fit nicely in the back of
the 525iT (rear seats folded down) with plenty of space to spare. Also makes
an excellent track tire hauler!

I've been agreeably surprised with the performance, considering what I'm
normally used to driving (E36 M3 and Mini Cooper S). Originally I'd wanted
to buy a friend's 540iTa/Sport Package, which of course is a real Q-car and
a blast to drive. I thought the 525 with an autobox would be a dog, but not
so at all. Sure, the car is no rocket, but the 5-speed auto is very
responsive; I never even bother use the Steptronic functions. The M54 engine
has more torque than it ought to for the displacement and is happy to rev
when needed. The end result is that it's easy to keep up with, away from or
ahead of traffic, depending on your mood.

The E39 is a distinct step up from the E46 both in terms of interior space,
especially width, and build quality. Really nice car for highway trips.

Neil
Fort Wayne, IN
96 M3      - Bastard child
03 525iT   - Sterling Grey Metallic
77 MGB     - Original owner, need to sell
05 Mini    - Cooper S with LSD!



------------------------------

End of [bmwuucdigest] digest(1 messages)
**********

Reply via email to