Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:57:32 -0700
From: "Scott & Charlotte Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "UUC Digest" <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Re: <e32> Ohh those Trannys

Jim, I don't know what transmission is in a '93 740iL.  My only
experience with a BMW automatic is with the GM 4 speed in Charlotte's
"money pit" '93 525iA.  I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the
740 transmission can have similar failure modes.  It can also slip
going into gear because:

- the fluid is low
- the clutches are worn

The Trans Program message (and defaulting into limp-home mode) can can
occur because of slamming upshifts due to low fluid.

Low fluid is the easier fix, although on the GM 4 speed, this is best
done on a lift and the fluid temp cannot be too high or too low, it
has to be a Goldilocks-like just right.

Our "fix" for the slipping clutches was a used transmission from a '93
525iTA.  Then it suffered from low fluid due to bad seals at the
accumulator on the side of the transmission.  The used slushbox cost
us about $900 from a local salvage yard, and installation was about
$800.  Having the shop replace the accumulator was another $250, but
would have been only $30 for parts when the slushbox was out of the
car, had we known.

HTH, although it probably doesn't.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA

>Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 23:16:54 EDT
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
>Subject: <e32> Ohh those Trannys
>
>Gruppe,
>
>Good friend has an 93 740iL  sucking all his play money out of his
wallet
>every few months and I am trying to  help out. The trans starting
slipping in and
>out of gear as his SWMBO drove it,  he test drove it and it did the
same.
>Sounds to me like the ole Valve Body Check  Ball problem, though I am
indeed the
>worlds worst shade tree mechanic. He tells  me that it will drive
fine, then
>seem to slip out of gear, the engine will race  and then it will THUD
into gear
>which is where my DX came from. Also states that  a trans problem
light comes
>on the dash, though he can stop the car, turn it off  and back on and
this
>sometimes 'resets'  the car and it'll work for a few  more miles.
Started about