Hi Paolo, Kendy, all,

On 30/05/2022 13.44, Paolo Vecchi wrote:
After having read the other proposal I have integrated some minor changes into v 2.1 that you can find here:

https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/sFtCk9wiMWbt2pB

Thanks for this, Paolo. Some comments:

Some of the changes implemented:
- added that TDF has increased its contributions also thanks to improved QA triage, UI and unit tests development - moved the "app stores management" section under Focus Areas and removed the long rationale behind the proposed focus area as it should be by now clear to all. It might be seen as controversial but it is a natural evolution to have the apps managed directly by TDF

As written in my reply to Kendy [1] already: With the fact that the BoD has already decided that TDF will publish apps in the app store by itself, it seems to be less controversial to me to have that in the proposal as a potential target area/task for an internal developer.
It is important from my point of view that a strategic proposal of this type does not contain artificial limitations for TDF to express itself fully in achieving its goals set in its statutes. While TDF is committed to working with members of the commercial ecosystem in a mutually beneficial relationship it should be made clear that third parties and suppliers (commercial contributors) should not limit what a charitable organisation can do as that is against our statutes and the principles TDF was created with.

The ESC provides valuable contributions but it is well represented by commercial contributors and other external organisations which should not directly influence TDF's employees. Meetings with the ESC will provide useful exchange of information which will be evaluated by our mentors and our ED to take decisions as described in the proposal.

Is that directed at Kendy's proposal?
I either don't fully understand or don't share your concern that ESC would have too much influence there, since the "Selecting Target Areas" section in there says that each TDF member can suggest target areas. The ESC ranks those, but it's ultimately the BoD that decides. Given the BoD ultimately decides on the target areas, it's unclear to me how ESC would directly influence TDF's employees.

Can you possibly explain that in a bit more detail?

Looking at the diff between the 2 proposals: While there seem to be different approaches in some bigger questions (like management, tasks of developers), some seem to be more of a cosmetic nature.
Without knowing how the process works exactly:
While I don't really expect that there will be a consensus in all aspects, I'm wondering whether trying to minimize the diff between the proposals before doing a vote would be reasonable, so there's consensus in as many aspects as possible.

Best regards,
Michael

[1] https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/2022/msg00617.html