Hi all,

Am 24.06.22 um 20:57 schrieb laszlo.nem...@documentfoundation.org:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 2022-06-24 17:51, Andreas Mantke wrote:
> (..)
>>
>> I also have no idea why it's not possible to work on a common ground of
>> LOOL (LibreOffice Online) and why it is/was instead necessary to fork
>> the code away from the LibreOffice community and rename it.
>> If I look over the fence into another OSS community there is no such
>> behavior. Maybe because the license is GPL and there is a contributor
>> assignment for the foundation in place (or there is more common spirit
>> in the project and the professional contributors are more divers).
>
> I'm sorry about the change, too. I don't know the details, maybe LOOL was
> never a core LibreOffice development, but it seems, there was no
> choice for
> Collabora Productivity, only forking. Likely the reason is known for the
> former TDF board, and Michael Meeks wrote about it, too, see "Why is
> Collabora Online its own project?" in
> https://collaboraonline.github.io/post/faq/.

the faq and the linked info graphic showed the perception of the company
of itself and its view on the LibreOffice community and project.

> Forking is possible for everyone, but only with renaming. So it was
> very unfair to write about that renaming is some evil thing, while
> that was likely a mandatory trade mark issue for Collabora
> Productivity, too.

It's not necessary to change the naming of the upstream project or
create a second competing project, if you want to use the code from the
upstream project to develop a (commercial) derivative.

The MPL license is as far as I know open for such derivative work.

Regards,
Andreas

--
## Free Software Advocate