Hello,

On 17.10.17 00:15, David Anderson wrote:
> Our policy for a long time was:
>
> - provide a .sea release (including manager) for current Ubuntu/x86,
>   with no effort to make it run anywhere else.
> - provide a client-only (no manager) release built on an old Linux
> system,
>   everything static, for maximum compatibility.
>   We have a "compatability VM" in which to build this.
Close to nothing on Ubuntu is statically linked. And for BOINC there is
not need to be statically linked, either - when shipping as as part of the
distribution, this is.
> At some point (maybe when Rom left) we stopped doing this.
> I suggest that we start again.
> Maybe change to 64 bit.

Of course you can just go and do that. And for the "competition is
always good"
mantra or as a reference for bug reports I am also embracing that. A
complementary strategy could be to just embrace all those volunteer
packagers out there and call them a part of BOINC.

I have not talked back to Gianfranco about it, but I have some confidence
that he does not mind to move the Debian/Ubuntu-package build instructions
from git.debian.org to github for easier accessibility, if that is of
any help.

Best,

Steffen