James Linden Rose, III wrote:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.file-upload.multiple.php
It seems to be showing PHP's ability to parse multiple files
in the upload, but not now you get multiple files into the HTML form
code in the first place.

Agreed. I don't know PHP but the code snippet seems to be illustrating how to easily process several uploaded files as an array, but presumes on the HTML form side of things that there is a finite and known quantity of files.

Alex Brelsfoard wrote:
So i am trying to create a batch upload system for these purposes.
I can do this for one file.  I just need to make it possible for
more than one...

The zip approach, as others have suggested, is the most straight forward approach. It is commonly used. For example, Yahoo's Store uses this trick to allow you to upload batches of product images.

On the server side, zip should be easy to deal with. There are Perl modules for unpacking zip files.

Should I be seeing if there is a way I can get the user to be able
to select more than one file from their computer (as opposed to
selecting a directory)?

As far as a stock web browser is concerned, I think you'll find that'll be a dead end.

Or am I simply going to have to get inventive with the use of several
languages?
...use another programming language (javascrip or java I would imagine)
to connect to the local machine, browse, select the folder, find the
files, and submit them in the form as hidden fields (somehow).

I don't think JavaScript alone will help. A Java applet should do it from what I understand, though you'll need to adjust security settings to allow Java applets (or perhaps your specific applet) access to the file system.

Other options include:

Use an FTP client. I believe most modern web browsers can do batch uploads and support drag-and-drop in their built-in FTP clients. If not, there are plenty of user friendly FTP clients to chose from. (I took this approach for a similar project years ago, and used a customized FTP server to process the files.)

Write a stand-alone client in Perl that communicates with your CGI directly. See the latest Perl Journal for articles on Win32::GUI and a tool for turning Perl scripts into an executable file. Perl/Tk is another GUI option.

Write a Mozilla Firefox extension or Mozilla XUL application. Once installed this avoids the security restrictions that a Java applet would have, and you could probably implement it with just JavaScript.

Write a stand-alone client in C#. It appears you can freely download the .NET SDK from Microsoft, which includes a C# command line compiler. Then pair that up with an open source C# IDE that provides the GUI builder. Basically a free Visual Basic without all the ugliness of Visual Basic. (I haven't played around with this, but I've got the URLs if anyone is interested.)

 -Tom