I think the developers of Perl 6 would do everybody a big favor by renaming
it.   Calling it Perl 6 implies something that increasingly doesn't seem to
be true, and inhibits interest in and active development of Perl 5.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Metro" <tmetro-boston...@vl.com>
To: "Ronald J Kimball" <r...@tamias.net>
Cc: "L-boston-pm" <boston-pm@mail.pm.org>
Sent: 05/06/2010 9:32 PM
Subject: Spam:*, Re: [Boston.pm] Perl 5 to Perl 6 evolution

Ronald J Kimball wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> It seems less and less likely that there will be a definitive cut-over
>> point where a pure Perl 6 code base will be released.
>>
>> Instead is seems like they will asymptotically approach the Perl 6 spec
>> through incremental releases of Perl 5. That seems like a sound
>> strategy, but could make implementing internal architecture changes
>> rather challenging.
>
> I think you have some misconceptions about the relationship between Perl 5
> and Perl 6.  Perl 6 is essentially a new language that happens to
> share some history and syntax with Perl 1-5.

I realize that Perl 6, both from a language design and internal
architecture perspective, was always intended to be a ground-up redesign.

However, the ideals of a plan and the practical reality don't always
match up. There isn't exactly a production-ready Perl 6, or even
anything close to it, to make the case that a pure Perl 6 is a viable
alternative to evolving Perl 5.

I'd rather see the products of the Perl 6 "blue sky" design end up being
incorporated into Perl 5, than to have those ideas effectively shelved
waiting for a Perl 6 platform that may never adequately materialize.

> The ongoing development of Perl 5 is not aimed at implementing
> the Perl 6 spec.

That may not be the primary goal, but it seems to be what is happening
for the past few releases.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro