On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro-boston...@vl.com> wrote:
> Ronald J Kimball wrote:
>> The ongoing development of Perl 5 is not aimed at implementing
>> the Perl 6 spec.
>
> That may not be the primary goal, but it seems to be what is happening for
> the past few releases.

What I've lately been fond of explaining to friends is that "Perl6" is
the somewhat misleading name attached to Perl's skunkworks lab. It
develops, implements and tests various crazy ideas for new language
features, the best of which Perl adopts, either by the next 5.x
release or through community-embraced modules like Moose.

Viewed this way, I love how it's been working out. The name could be
better, but getting a 10-year-old open-source project to change its
name seems unlikely; it seems easier to spread the meme that it's
Perl's R&D lab.

--
Jason McIntosh

http://jmac.org • j...@jmac.org • @JmacDotOrg