--- Doug wrote:

> I haven't seen or used any of the fingerprint stuff
> yet, but I can't say
> as it would bother me a whole lot.  In fact, if it
> would protect me
> against identity theft I would say that the benefits
> far outweigh the
> drawbacks.  Of course maybe it's because my
> fingerprints are on file in
> a few places already (California DMV, U.S. DoD).  It
> bothers me much
> more that people can sell information about me
> without my knowledge -
> especially private stuff like financial info.
>
> What's the big deal about fingerprint I.D. to those
> of you that dislike it so much?

My fingerprints are also on file (part of the medical
licensing process in several states), and I don't
object to that level of identity proof when one is in
a sensitive area (like the DoD). And I agree that the
selling of private information is a serious problem
(as I mentioned, the CO DoMV _was_ selling drivers'
license info until they were publicly 'outed').

But as I also stated, while the Jeffco sheriff's
office says that 'print info won't be used unless
fraud is involved, the example of the misuse of
information-gathering by a nearby law enforcement
agency (Denver City Police) does not engender my
confidence.  I must add that I think the vast majority
of law-enforcement folks are good people trying to do
difficult, dangerous work - but without
transparency/reciprocity, collecting sensitive
information on ordinary citizens _without evidence of
their misbehavior_ seems invasive to me.

Debbi