At 06:20 PM 10/19/2002 +0200 J. van Baardwijk wrote:
>Incredible. I ask the same question *twice*, and both times you evade it.
>So, third attempt, why would countries insist on UN support if they
>consider the UN to be a discredited body?
>
>BTW, may I ask why you keep insulting Europeans by implying that they are
>somehow intellectually inferior to Americans?

You are the one who keeps arguing that Europeans continue to insist upon
the support of a discredited body.   I, however, argue that the Europeans
simply do not know that it is discredited.   Who, then, is insulting
Europeans?

>First, the UNSC deals with matters of *international* security, not a
>country's national security.

The dispute between Iraq and the US seems to meet the definition of
"international security" dispute.

>A country's national security is its own
>responsibility; other countries have no say in it.

So, do you agree, then, that if the US determines that Iraq is adversely
affecting its "national security", then, quote "other countries have no say
in it?"

> Second, even in matters
>of international security, neither the Chinese nor the French have the
>power to make decisions about that, contrary to what you are implying. They
>are *members* of the UNSC, but one country's will is not law -- decisions
>are made by *all* members of the UNSC.

Jeroen, are you aware that some conutries have a veto power in the UN
Security Council?

Also, are you aware that the UNSC makes decisions on the basis of the
agreement of 9 out of 15 members, provided that all 5 permanent members
assent to the decision?

Finally, on the basis of this information, would you like to revise the
above quotes?

JDG

John D. Giorgis         -               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
People everywhere want to say what they think; choose who will govern
them; worship as they please; educate their children -- male and female;
 own property; and enjoy the benefits of their labor. These values of
freedom are right and true for every person,  in every society -- and the
duty of protecting these values against their enemies is the common
calling of freedom-loving people across the globe and across the ages.
                -US National Security Policy, 2002