At 11:28 PM 11/26/02 -0600, Dan Minette wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronn! Blankenship" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: Religion, the good side

> At 11:01 PM 11/26/02 -0600, Dan Minette wrote:

I'm

> > > People like to complain about management. Some people might even
> > > intentionally work less to "get back at" management. But for someone
> > > who truly wants to get something done and is giving it their best
shot,
> > > working longer is likely to get it done in fewer days
> >
> >Question, then.  Management A ran the company, respecting how these and
> >other guys worked.  The company was first in market share, by a good
> >margin. It was sold for a very good profit by the parent company (it was
> >groomed for sale, they didn't have the global infrastructure to really
> >expand the company). The corporation that bought them had a philosophy
like
> >yours.  After 3 years, engineering productivity fell to pieces.  There
were
> >long hours, tight schedules, no time to think.  Junk was turned out. The
> >corporation that bought them had their own MWD company, the 4th largest
in
> >the industry.  Two years after combining #1 and #4, they had the #3
> >company.
> >
> >These guys were really great in that they got away lying about what they
> >did to the management.  They actually turned out good product their own
> >way, by playing politics right. (They got lucky in having some folks who
> >wanted the company to survive intervene with management.)  They were the
> >only group to turn out product that was at the forefront of the market
(my
> >inventions were before the buyout.)  There were plenty of plodders,
doing
> >things your way, turning out stuff that didn't work.
> >
> >I respect hard work.  With my own company, including non-billable hours,
> >work a good number of hours a week.  But, I know that's not where I make
> >the greatest impact.  Its in those few minutes of inspiration.
>

> I know that most times when I sit with a computer or a blank sheet of
paper
> in front of me, the only thing I produce is mechanical stuff, which even
> recognize as garbage.  Inspiration comes when I take a walk, when I'm in
> the shower, or when I'm lying in bed half-asleep, at which time I have to
> run, not walk, to the computer and type it in before the moment goes away
.

Ah, so you know what I mean.  I'm lucky in that I can remember my blinding
flashes of inspiration.   Its like being told the solution to real
difficult riddle.  Once I see it; I can take my time writing it down.
Indeed, some times I get just part, stop pushing, and wait for the rest.

But, for others, the muse also gives an exponential decay function to, so
if they don't do as you say, it goes away, maybe to never come back.

The problem is not that I forget, but that if something unrelated takes priority, when I get back to it the "inspired mood" is gone, whereas if I can "strike while the iron is hot", I'm likely to get something done before getting sidetracked . . .

(Obviously the preceding description was _not_ a product of inspiration, but with luck some of you will be sufficiently inspired to interpret it . . . )

--Ronn! :)

I always knew that I would see the first man on the Moon.
I never dreamed that I would see the last.
--Dr. Jerry Pournelle