Seems to me that you've just shot down your proposition, since those words
limit it to selected cases.  Now we can agree, although I'd say it thus: for
some people, dealing with some kinds of work, more hours yields more output.
Generally speaking, I'll add, those are the less creative kinds of work.

> I think the real trick is to stimulate as much of your mind as possible
> in as many ways related to the problem as possible.

There's the rub -- you never know what might be related.  Pick up any book
on creativity and you'll find that creative people are interested in
everything.  (We're into an area of my expertise here; IIRC, that very
sentence appears on my web site.)  Metaphor is powerful, so is letting a
problem linger in the back of one's head.  Big problems are rarely solved by
tackling them head-on; many are serendipitous.

Serendipity is not something you can force to happen, but it's not random,
either.  Head in an interesting direction and you're likely to find things
you weren't even looking for.  The word comes from a fable about the princes
of Serendip (Ceylon) who never got where they were going because they were
distracted by interesting and valuable things along the way.  If they
focused on the "problem," they would have missed a great deal.  Not every
task should be approached this way; sometimes focus and follow-through are
far more important than creativity.  Learning how to switch deliberately
from one mode to the other is an extremely valuable skill.  That's one of
the things I help clients do.  In some sense, it's *the* thing I do.

Nick