On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Bradford DeLong wrote:

> >The nature and extent of this "attack" is being grossly exaggerated.
> >Arnett immediately assumed the worst, but the truth is that the
> >alleged "hacking" was very limited. In fact, I doubt it even
> >qualifies as "hacking". All I did was go to the page where we all
> >can go to log in and change our subscription settings; there I made
> >a few attempts to login using the e-mail addresses of the list
> >censors, and take a few guesses at the corresponding passwords. That
> >is all.
>
> That is more than enough...

Good lord, yes.  The things one misses with mail filters!

"Golly, I tried the lock on your front door, then I walked around your
house and checked your windows to see if you'd left one open, and I gave
the garage door a heave...but that doesn't mean I was trying to break into
your house, sir, and I'm shocked and offended that you'd insinuate any
such thing!"

Marvin Long
Austin, Texas
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Poindexter & Ashcroft, LLP (Formerly the USA)