On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Horn, John wrote:

> Why is everyone positive that there will be an "Extended Edition DVD" for
> _The Two Towers_?  Has Peter Jackson said for a fact that there will be one?
> For some reason, I thought that the FOTR one was the exception not the rule.
> But I'm not sure where I got that idea...

I seem to recall reading an interview with P. Jackson where he said that
his life is still nuts because he has to work on postproduction for RotK
and the extended DVD of TTT at the same time.  But I could be
misremembering....  I certainly hope there's an extended DVD of TTT -- he
did such a terrific job on the first one, and there are lots of places in
TTT where a little extra exposition would help.

(How uncommon is it to criticize a 3-hour movie for not having enough
stuff in it, rather than criticizing it for stuff that should have been
cut?)

> BTW, I now understand better the change in Faramir.  The Ring is much more
> malvolent and active in Jackson's version.  Even Aragorn was greatly tempted
> by it and had to send Frodo away in order to be certain he would resist it.
> If Faramir had resisted as he had in the book, he would have been *better*
> than Aragorn.  By making this change, Faramir seems somewhere in between
> Aragorn and Boromir.  (I'm still not sure I like it but I can understand
> it.)

There's a good interview with Jackson & Co. at:

http://www.greencine.com/article?action=view&articleID=62&;

He talks about that Faramir decision, basically noting that if Faramir
(however noble his character) finds it easy to discard the ring, then that
undercuts all the preceding work which establishes the ring as such a
menace.

Marvin Long
Austin, Texas
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Poindexter & Ashcroft, LLP (Formerly the USA)