----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Crystall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: SCOUTED: Segway scooter hot seller online

> On 3 Jan 2003 at 13:41, Dan Minette wrote:
>
> > With respect to point 2, from riding a bike on a bike/hike path and
> > riding a bike on the shoulder street, I know that, with any real
> > pedestrian traffic at all, bike path travel is either
> >
> > a) close to walking speed
> >
> > or
> >
> > b) intrusive.
> >
> > So, well mannered Segway riders will either go on low traffic
> > sidewalks or go much slower than 12 mph.
>
> To be brutally honest, I'd support prosecution of anyone who used
> one on a pavement over here. I almost allways use the road when I
> skate precisely BECAUSE I'm a good - and fast - skater and I'd hurt
> someone (most likely myself, given I'm the one on wheels, but) if I hit
> them at top speed. Sure, I hop back on the pavement to cross major
> roads, but I'm not going quickly then.

Just to be sure Americans are not confused by a English English: :-)

Where you are, is the word "pavement" used for what we call sidewalks?
That is to say, strips of asphalt or concrete along side of but seperate
from the roads upon which cars, busses, bikes, etc. travel, intended for
pedestrian use?

We call anything paved: concrete, asphalt, etc. pavement over here.

Dan M.