----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: SCOUTED: Segway scooter hot seller online

> On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 17:25:30 -0600, Dan Minette wrote:
>
> >>So I see in the Segway and (hopefully) its descendants a means to move
> >>towards a smaller, more efficient means of transportation.
> >
> >How is it more efficient for commuting than other forms of single person
> >transportation that use very little fuel, such as scooters?
>
> It may not be. But I think Doug's point was that it gives an option to
people
> who either can't or won't drive a scooter for commuting. There are
environments
> were the Segway will do well. And personal preference will have a lot to
do
> with it. Although right now, that choice isn't there for many people
because of
> the cost.
>
> I would like to suggest to all of you who, it appears, have already been
run
> over by one of these, that whether skateboard, bicycle, blades or segway,
the
> problem does not lie with the mode, but with the asshole who is piloting
it.

> >>Obviously  the scope if this first iteration is limited, but its a
start,
> >>a new idea, and I hope it's successful.
>
> >Well, the TV phone was a new idea too.  We were all supposed to have TV
> >phones by now; the first prototypes were available over 40 years ago.
Most
> >new well hyped technology doesn't live up to their promise.  It is
possible
> >to criticize individual efforts without being a luddite.
>
> But it wasn't a good idea. People just thought it was neat, not useful.
Like
> automatic doors and food pills. Expense and lack of bandwidth made it
> impractical for all but the wealthy. Cheap bandwidth is here now and
webcams
> are becoming quite cheap and popular for those who wish to use them. CD's,
cell
> phones, ABM's, debit cards, PC's, microwave ovens, telephones, electricity
etc.
> were all new ideas that at one time had their critics.
>
> How did you ever become a science fiction fan? :-)

I think Dan may be unaware of the extent that programs like Netmeeting,
Cu-Seeme, ICU2, and many others actually are in use. There is quite a
sizeable base of people who use these programs on a daily basis. (Lets not
talk about what they use it for.)<G>

I have a webcam and comset for every computer in the house (3) and they do
get some use.

Now I admit that this doesn't invalidate Dans argument, but I think it ends
up being a standoff or a draw as I think we are in a period where things are
changing and it is hard to predict exactly how things will go.

xponent
Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes Maru
rob