on 30/1/03 11:27 pm, Andrew Crystall at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2003 at 22:24, William T Goodall wrote:
>>> And let me restate - all the "home" deals for dial-up access in the
>>> UK kick you off every 2 hours, and they kick you off the *ISP
>>> entirely* if in any 24 hour rolling period you're connected for more
>>> than 12 hours. The ONLY exception is AOL.
>>
>> Demon doesn't either. See
>> http://www.demon.net/products/access/standard.shtml
>
> "***Demon uses 0845 numbers on the Standard Dial Up account.
> 0845 numbers are described by Oftel as "local call rate". BT charges
> these at local call rates "

This would be new since I went onto broadband a few months ago. BT wholesale
must be enforcing the same limits on all the ISPs who use its surftime
packages as it applies to its own branded ones. [1]

The question is, do you want to rely on a loss-making subsidised service
from a company that lost $100,000,000,000 (A hundred billion dollars) or do
you want something that will still be there next week ? :) [2]

[1] And you can still get surftime tariffs via Demon.
[2] I thought the 'give it away free and make money somehow' internet bubble
burst a long time ago. Mind you AOL-Time Warner has a *lot* less than
nothing to lose :)

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Misuse of IMPs leads to strange, difficult-to-diagnose bugs.
- Anguish et al. "Cocoa Programming"