On 29 Jan 2003 at 18:41, William T Goodall wrote:

> In the UK most people who have a phone line can use any dialup ISP
> from anywhere. And if you are in range of an ADSL enabled exchange [1]
> you can use any broadband ISP to provide your service. With cable
> broadband it depends which (if any) cable company has wired your area.
> [2]

Actually, as I recall it's  ~60% have ADSL but another 15% odd have
access to broadband via cable internet (not including the overlap
zones) for an overall somewhere between 70 and 70 percent.

And let me restate - all the "home" deals for dial-up access in the
UK kick you off every 2 hours, and they kick you off the *ISP
entirely* if in any 24 hour rolling period you're connected for more
than 12 hours. The ONLY exception is AOL.

There's also the slight fact as well that dial-up ISP's are £15 or
less a month, and while broadband can be had for the ~£25 range,
there are activation costs (£60) and hardware (from £40 for a ADSL
PCI card to £120 for a nice ethernet ADSL router and 4-port switch)
to consider, plus likely 2+ microfilters at £7.50 each....

Andy
Dawn Falcon