on 29/1/03 4:57 pm, Julia Thompson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Alberto Monteiro wrote:
>> But no one is _forced_ to use AOL. Don't like it? Get a decent
>> Internet Provider
>
> But in some areas, AOL may be the closest thing to a "decent" ISP you can
> get.
>
> In major cities, there's plenty of competition, because there are more
> potential customers and the population can support a number of different
> providers.  In more rural areas, you may be lucky to have *one* broadband
> option, forget being able to pick and choose the *best* provider, and dialup
> as well may be limited to *one* option.  (I don't know what we'd do for
> dialup where we are now, and for broadband, there's only one provider.
> We're not happy with the service at times, but there's no other option.)  In
> Austin, after a number of ISPs went under, there were still at least 5
> different options, at least 2 of them offering residential broadband.  Out
> in the boonies, things are more limited.  And AOL may provide services that
> people want that aren't available with any of the other options available to
> them, in less internet-user-dense areas.

In the UK most people who have a phone line can use any dialup ISP from
anywhere. And if you are in range of an ADSL enabled exchange [1] you can
use any broadband ISP to provide your service. With cable broadband it
depends which (if any) cable company has wired your area. [2]

[1] Over 70% household coverage in August 2002.
[2] Satellite TV seems to have been relatively more successful than cable in
the UK compared to the US.
--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you listen to a UNIX shell, can you hear the C?