Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> --- "Marvin Long, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I don't, really.  But several reports out of Iraq
> > that I've seen and heard
> > contain a notes about how the locals consider the
> > Iraqi exile community a
> > bunch of elitists who escaped when the going got
> > tough and who hope to
> > lord it over the rest when they return on Uncle
> > Sam's dime.  Now maybe
> > that's an exaggeration...IIRC one of those reports
> > was on NPR, so it is
> > therefore immediately suspect to 1/2 or more of all
> > good red-blooded
> > Americans. :-)
> >
> > Marvin Long

The same ones who think Rush Limbaugh is a level-headed,
fair, and rational thinker with no political agenda, it
would seem.

> More than that - my real objection to NPR is that they
> _never_ mention, _not ever_, that every interview they
> conduct in Iraq is conducted in the presence of the
> Iraqi secret police, and that people who say things
> opposed to the government _have been_ killed for doing
> so.  You don't think that maybe that affects the
> reliability of what we're hearing?

You're apparently not listening to NPR, nor
even able to conceive that they could
have balanced coverage.  Rather you're taking
cues from someone else on what they are and
aren't doing.

NPR _has_ and _does_ mention that the UN inspectors
have been unable to interview any scientists alone,
(and reporting the big news when they finally get *one*
scientist to agree to be interviewed alone)
as well as how any reporters out and about with recording
gear are assigned a special "minder" to "keep them
out of trouble"

The times that they report on off-the-record
interviews, the general barometer of the Iraqi
public is that they'd love to see the end of
Saddam, but are less receptive to the idea of
the USA doing it, don't really have any
suggestions on *how* to do it without the USA,
and generally have some contempt for the opposition
leaders in exile for not sticking around in the
bad times like they have.  Such contempt would
be understandable, even if the circumstances made
it necessary for the opposition to leave Iraq,
even if they never got to enjoy the easy life in
exile that is part of the perception.  They have
a right to such opinions because they endured
under Saddam's thumb and they others haven't.

-- Matt