At 08:25 PM 2/15/03 +0000, Jose J. Ortiz-Carlo wrote:
From: Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: POLICY PROPOSAL: The list and copyright
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 13:04:35 -0600

He found some old messages from a particular long-time (about 7 years at the time) list member, copied some parts of those messages out of context, and forwarded a printout of those excerpts to the author's employer.
Hi, Ronn! This is a very interesting scenario that you are presenting.

Was the person in question working for this company at the time the messages were posted, 7 years ago?

Actually all we can say is that the messages were posted "sometime in the past 7 years", because that is how long the person had been a member of the discussion group at the time the other person forwarded the excerpts to his employer. However, the person has been working for the same employer for a long time.

Regardless or not of the fact that I may or may not have been with the same company, I can't see, from a legal point of view, why and how information that I posted 7 years ago actually has a chance to affect my standing with the company I work for now.

And even if my employers *think* it does, and even if they *tell* me they think it does, I don't see why I have to abide by their point of view.

In so doing, they would be intruding in my personal and civil liberties. If I am outside my job at the time in question, their actions taken against me for what I express in public may (and I emphasize, MAY) constitute a flagrant violation of my civil rights.

Whether or not I am correct, of course, lies in the eyes of a expert in labor laws and civil rights laws.

it seems clear that he was presented with the choice between continuing to be active on the Internet and keeping his jobı. So it is indeed possible for actions taken on e-mail lists like this to have serious real-life consequences.
This is the part I think is illegal. Any lawyers around willing to formulate an opinion?

I'm sorry. To make this clearer would require that I provide some of the information I can't give you without identifying some of the involved parties.

-- Ronn! :)

Almighty Ruler of the all,
Whose Power extends to great and small,
Who guides the stars with steadfast law,
Whose least creation fills with awe,
O grant thy mercy and thy grace,
To those who venture into space.

(Robert A. Heinlein's added verse to the Navy Hymn)