For at least half a century the US has been doing its best to present itself
as a country that would like nothing better than to rule the world. The
world economy runs on oil, and Iraq happens to be floating on a substantial
part of the world's oil reserve. Therefore, it makes sense that this is
about oil; control over a substantial part of the world's oil reserve gives
whoever controls it an awful lot of power over the rest of the world.

It wouldn't surprise me if, once the US has gained control over Iraq's oil
reserves, it will use that oil as a weapon ("do what we want or we'll cut
off your oil supply").

Jeroen "Make love, not war" van Baardwijk