Ticia wrote:

> Actually, the 'homo' refers to 'same' (as in same sex), not to homo as in
> Homo Sapiens (man). Not sure where *that* 'homo' comes from...

_Homo_ for same is Greek, _Homo_ for Human is Latin. Probably
_homosexual_ is a barbarism, mixing Greek and Latin.

Does anyone know how to say _sex_ in Greek? The virgin goddess
of wisdom etc daughter of Zeus was _Athena_, and her temple was
the _Parthenon_. Both _a-_ and _par-_ are prefixes that mean
a kind of negation, so I guess this *_then_ must have something to
do with sex.

Alberto Monteiro