On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 06:41:33PM -0800, Nick Arnett wrote:

> If the majority of French people favored "evacuation" of the Jews (to
> put it as mildly as they might have rationalized it to be, especially
> before the 'final solution' began), surely the losses would have been
> far, far greater, don't you think?

Well, I'd hope in my country, if the police started rounding up an
ethnic group and shipping them out, that the majority of people would
march in the streets and force the police to stop. Were the French too
afraid of the German armies to do something like this? (That isn't a
rhetorical question, I'm trying to understand )

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/