iaamoac wrote:

> Whenever I walk by there, I can't help but be astonished that it was
> *only* 60 years ago - and yet it seems so absolutely unthinkable
> today.   Sure we can all talk about technological development over
> the last century, but our ethical development is almost as awe-
> inspiring - compared to ethical development over the previous range
> of human history.

I was just thinking along those lines myself, with how in WWII, cites
seemed to be routinely targeted (ie: London bombings, Dresden firebombing,
Hiroshima, etc), while most people today would be horrified by such targetting
of civilians.  I wonder though if this is an ethical/moral evolution to the feeling
that civilians (even enemy ones) are non-combatant and should not be
targeted, or is it just that recent wars just have not been desperate enough
to change our opinion.

-bryon