--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, I'd hope in my country, if the police started rounding up an
> ethnic group and shipping them out, that the majority of
> people would march in the streets and force the police to stop.

Whenever I have the occasion to walk from the Bureau of Labor
Statistis Building to the Frances Perkins ("Main") Labor Department
Building, I pass by one of the newest, most moving, and perhaps least-
known memorials in all of Washington, DC.   It is a memorial to the
Japanese-Americans who were rounded up into internment camps.

Whenever I walk by there, I can't help but be astonished that it was
*only* 60 years ago - and yet it seems so absolutely unthinkable
today.   Sure we can all talk about technological development over
the last century, but our ethical development is almost as awe-
inspiring - compared to ethical development over the previous range
of human history.

JDG