On
> Behalf Of John D. Giorgis
> Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 11:28 PM
> To: Killer Bs Discussion
> Subject: Catholicism Re: james ossuary a fake - scientists
>
> At 10:04 PM 6/20/2003 -0500 The Fool wrote:
> >No I just think catholics are hyprocritical.  They profess to follow
> >christ, but it is mary for whom they worship.
>
> A couple questions:
>
> 1) How many times is Mary mentioned in the normal Catholic Mass (which
> Catholics are obligated to attend weekly)?

Interesting.  I have no idea, but I'd like to know the answer and would
appreciate your posting it.  While we're at it, what about the number of
mentions/prayers devoted to Mary during Penance, Baptism, Confirmation,
First Communion and the Sacrament of Matrimony?  What about
Assumption/Crowning during the 'Glorious Mysteries' portion of the
Rosary decade?

> 2) How many instances of worship of Mary are included in a typical
decade
> of the rosary (the most common Catholic Marian devotion)?

Anywhere from 3 to 10 repetitions of Hail Mary and, I believe, 1 Hail
Holy Queen.  As I mentioned above, there are also several sections of
the decade devoted to Mary.

The text of Hail Holy Queen:
Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, hail, our life, our sweetness and our
hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve: to thee do we
send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn
then, most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after
this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus, O
merciful, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary! Amen.

(Taken from http://www.webdesk.com/catholic/prayers/hailholyqueen.html)

Are you saying that Mary is not also worshipped or prayed to?
Considering all of the prayers and mentions we're discussing, I'd
definitely disagree with that.

> >They profess to adhere to
> >the bible
>
> I have never heard a Catholic profess this, and neither the word nor
the
> conept of the "Bible" never appears in the Catholic Profession of
Faith,
> nor in the Catholic baptismal promises.

Really?  So why do you read it and say prayers from it?  What purpose
does the Catholic bible serve and what is its value?

A side question. Why is it that Mary is always seen in a glass window or
something?  Why not Jesus?

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0612virgin-sighting12-ON.html

According to the article, these people believe they are 'communicating'
their prayers to Mary.

Jon